48 years of dedication ! So what ?
“He doesnt have to go around lobbying telling everyone he is going to quit. Let him just quit” – Dr Anbumani Ramadoss (PMK)
Is this what Tamil culture has taught you ? If not for his outstanding scholarship and international repute, atleast show some respect for his age. Atleast show some respect that he has performed the first heart transplant in India and has saved thousands of patients who came to him as a last resort.
A hero for many
He has trained hundreds of students – and unlike our politicians did not run overseas for his own heart operation. He asked one of his students to perform it for him.
HALE AND HEARTY: P. Venugopal, director of All India Institute of Medical Sciences, with his student and `doctor’, A.K. Bisnoi, in New Delhi on Saturday. Photo: Rajeev Bhatt Source The Hindu http://www.hinduonnet.com/2005/01/30/stories/2005013010710300.htm
Harassing the top surgeon in India in the name of social justice
- Has been associated with AIIMS for 48 YEARS ! ( 11 years before this minister was even born !)
- Joined AIIMS in 1959 as an undergraduate, did his post graduate from AIIMS, and has been with it ever since. I bet many of his colleagues left for much greener pastures abroad and are probably owning multimillion dollar houses in countries like USA and UK.
- He received the gold medal for the best undergraduate from Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Completed PG in AIIMS with yet another gold medal, trained under legendary heart surgeon Denton Cooley in Texas
- Established the first open heart surgery program in India at AIIMS in 1974. Over the years had personally trained and mentored hundreds of doctors in open heart surgery
- Easily the most recognized and topmost cardiac surgeon in India
- The renowned surgeon is really doing top work with stem cells (cellular cardioplasty).
- Performed the first heart transplant in India.
- He has conducted over 50,000 open heart surgeries patients in a government hospital – AIIMS.
- He was decorated with Padma Bhushan in 1998 (Indias third highest civilian award)
- Cardio Thoracic and Neuro Sciences Centre (CVTS) is the pride of AIIMS. He is instrumental in founding it and making it one of the best in the world. He is hands on, dedicated day and night to his profession
- He could have flown overseas or joined any private hospital for CRORES. His name alone is enough to enhance the value of any hospital many times. Instead he stuck to serve common people in a government institution.
- AIIMS (especially the CVTS) is a miracle due to his efforts. He created a world class institution under the aegis of the government. Working and winding his way though various obstacles.
- The famous super speciality hospital in Puttaparthi was created under his supervision. This hospital has saved thousands and thousands of lives – including the hopelessly poor. Nobody has the credentials to talk to Prof Venugopal about medical service to the needy.
- Even though some persons have problems with his adminstration, nobody, not a single person talks disrespectfully about him.
Anyway, since merit and scholarship are just creations of the upper-class to suppress downtrodden people, his achievements and dedication mean nothing. Any person from the MBC caste if given the opportunities (which means given the Directorship of AIIMS) can easily become Prof Venugopal. So replacing him is not a problem – as is replacing all the others who will quit along with him. This is the logic being followed here.
This disrespect is part of the script. In TN (and many other states), achievers like Nobel Laureates CV Raman, Chandrasekhar, and scholars like Ramanujan are all but forgotten. Only film stars of yesteryears and politicians are respected there. They will stop at nothing, if tomorrow any IIT director raises any objections – they will be harassed and shown the door too. Past accomplishments, dedication, scholarship, means nothing.