OBC students outperform general merit students
Imagine a courtroom in La-La land.
You see, in La-La land the rules are different from other inferior lands. In the courtroom of La-La land, the prosecution arguments are used in favour of the accused and the defence arguments are used for the plaintiff. This is weirder than Alice has ever seen – there are mad hatters everywhere and they all talk simultaneouly and then keep quiet at the same time.
See this story:
BANGALORE: The great OBC myth has been busted. The biggest concern of the anti-reservation activists that introduction of castebased reservations in higher education institutes would deteriorate the quality of education has been debunked.
. . .
While OBC students have a pass percentage of 93.01 to 97.4, general merit students recorded just 66.09 to 94.77 from the 1998-2000 batch to 2001-2005 batch.
. . .
The percentage of first class with distinction among OBC students was between 37.7 and 42.38,while among SC/ST students it was between 9.32 and 11.90 in the same period
Now in any other country this is the strongest evidence possible to the position that the method to select castes to the OBC list is totally invalid. However in La-la land, this is used as an argument to further even more concessions to a group that is already advanced.
In countries other than La-La land, this study would be interpreted as:
- Some castes need to be taken out of the OBC list immediately – if that is not possible then abolish the OBC quota itself. The OBC list is seriously compromised and renders the entire OBC quota system farcical.
- If the OBC castes are able to perform equal to or better the general “merit” category castes; then what is the rationale for the special quota. This is a clear cut case of “the unequal treatment of equals” – the very definition of state discrimination.
- This data is not sufficient. You need to tell us the profile of the OBC castes surveyed. The OBC quota is a group quota. The core issue is the initial selection and continuation of castes in the OBC caste list. It is no secret that in the south, the wealthiest and most dominant communities are classified as OBCs.
- The distance between the OBCs and the SC/ST is striking. Remember that Ambedkar envisaged quotas only for the SC/STs. So this study points out they havent advanced much – this pointing to a hijacking of Ambedkars scheme.
Next in the series:
- Study points to wealth of OBCs. In a shocking revelation Mr Shetty says that OBCs are several times weathier than general category. Mr Shetty has conducted a study of land deals in Shimoga, outer Bangalore, Mysore and found that the so called elite forward castes and the scheduled castes own next to nothing.
- OBCs provide more educational services than the general category. In a study done by Mr Shetty, he points to startling data. Over 90% of the educational institutions are controlled by OBCs in some states. Since all Christians in TN and KA are backward and they control many medical and engineering colleges – it can be inferred that they are more socially conscious.
I think Mr Shetty should look in the mirror and answer the following question.
If a community is equal to or better than the general category in education, way better than the general category in wealth, dominant in political power, owning more assets than the general category, controlling more educational institutions than the general category, then on what basis can it be called backward ?
Maybe in La-la land the answer to these questions lie in the question itself. In other words, the question is the answer and the answer is the question.
Gawd, my head is spinning – I need another shot of rum.