Parliamentary Committee Report
Yo bloggers ! Break free of MSM.
You can now read the parliamentary committee reports directly at the PRS India website. They are available here
So, I checked out the Parliamentary Committee Report on OBC quotas presented to the HRD Ministry. The report is available at http://rajyasabha.nic.in/book2/reports/HRD/186threport.htm
I read the entire report, what was striking was
- the open acknowledgement of lack of data
- the full knowledge of the regional imbalances (especially TN)
- the knowledge that creamy layers will deprive the really needy
- the knowledge that no OBC caste has been excluded
- the knowledge the muslims in the north/east were being shortchanged
- the fact that 22.4% of the countrys urban OBCs live in TN
- the unfulfilled demands for caste census (not just the omnibus OBC group as some dravidians want, but individual castes) by state governments
The Committee was also given to understand that there had been a long pending and consistent demand from some State Governments/ State Backward Class Commissions for undertaking a comprehensive census survey of Backward Classes. It was emphasized that if this task was not accomplished, such affirmative action as extending reservations would not have legitimate and just basis.
Source Para 25 of the Report 186 here
What does this mean ? This task (caste census) has not been accomplished at this time, does this mean the committee is accepting that “such affirmative action” does not have a legitimate and just basis.
By not excluding the creamy layer, the politicians have to answer to the poor families who are still laying tar. Are these policies not for them ?