Tarun Tejpal’s editorial once again tries to put Gujarat alongside the Holocaust and hope some darkness rubs off. Why must we seek to steal the tragedy of the holocaust. Gujarat (Bombay, Sikh, Kashmir) each are different and tragic in their own way. You do not need to tee off your essay with Aushwicz, Treblinka and end with Modi.
However, we cannot dismiss the sting operation altogether. There are some very disturbing things that have come to light- which I did not know before. It also illustrates why justice will elude the victims of the riots, it also exposes why such events will continue to happen in the future.
Question : Is this man still on the loose ?
Babu Bajrangi – claims to have killed 80+ people in a pre-medidated manner. Why is he not in jail awaiting the gallows ? This is the most (and only) shocking part of the sting.
The tragedy in Gujarat is :
- NOT that BJP is ruling or whether Modi is still CM.
- NOT that Modi has not been prosecuted.
- NOT that killers like Bajrangi are still loose
The tragedy in Gujarat is :
- No one is showing interest in getting these killers. From Lalu, to Tehelka, to Abhishek Singhvi, to NDTV, to IBNLIVE to almost all papers. One – not one – has expressed shock at the most obvious. People like Bajrangi – are still here !!
Everyone wants Modi’s head, they wont settle for ‘anything less’. ‘Anything less’ in this context means, getting all the perpertrators first. I agree fully that Modi’s role must be investigated thoroughly and impartially. Get the actual killers to book, that would be the most powerful deterrent to future riots, that would also be justice to the victims. “You cant have the guy who stuck a sword into a couple a guys joyfully hanging around the tea shop – while the entire country is on a fantastic chase behind Modi”.
A reality check on stings :
1. They cannot substitute the court system.
2. Getting Modi is easier said than done. None of the criminals in the sting operation attested to Modi providing Command and Control. This is in stark contrast to the Holocaust, which Tarun Tejpal compared it with.
3. To hold Modi to a higher crime than Bajrangi – you have to prove that Bajrangi had (a) orders from a chain of authorities rooted in Modi (b) there was a significant price to be paid for not obeying the above orders (c) each link in the chain had a price for not obeying orders.
4. The best charge against Modi is that he gave a free pass to the rioters.
5. The media has no business stoking up passions by repeatedly showing imagery of pregnant women, clips from movies, and highly inflammatory language. This is exactly the type of propaganda that was used to inflame muslim youths to get involved in the Coimbatore blasts – killing 58 people. Yes, these might have indeed happened – it does not mean you have the liberty to disturb public order. Violent riots have been incited on less.
— — —
Blog Note :
I have now completely strayed from the blog theme. The root of all problems in this country. The ability of the politicians to confer benefits to groups of people at their pleasure – and thus hold them hostage. True freedom awaits us in the form of data.
For continued political coverage read Offstumped