Other peoples stuff, Maharashtra SSC
It will come as no surprise to readers of this blog that the quota system forms the foundation of Indian society. As a people, we are beginning to expect to be able to take other people’s stuff .
All you have to do is to cite some grievance and hold “taking other peoples stuff” as the only remedy. Since, our primary quota platform is devoid of data and placed beyond mandatory rational examination by our judiciary, everyone else gets to ride along.
Maharashtra recently reserved 90% seats for their state board students for junior college (Std XI) admissions. Since we are slicing the loaf of bread along multiple planes, we are not sure about what happens to SC/ST/OBC who happen to be in the remaining 10%.
Just a few days before the Std X results are to be announced, the state government suddenly takes away 90% of seats from competition and gives it to one group. This is highly immoral, illegal (not sure about India), and arbitrary. None of these CBSE,ICSE students knew about this beforehand. They would not have opted for the board then.
The point is : the casual attitude we are developing towards other peoples stuff.
Speaking to TOI soon after the decision was announced by the state education minister Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil, Vasant Kalpande, former chairman of the chairman of the Maharashtra Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education said, “I am happy with the scheme. Comparison on the basis of marks led to disadvantage for SSC students when the percentile formula was implemented last year. Such a step was essential to bring them all at par. Some students might face problems in getting admission, but they will have to face it.”
Source : TOI (emp mine)
They will have to face it. Wow! You are talking about 14-15 year old kids here. They are tasting arbitrary majority justice for the first time in this socialist wonderland.
Some more examples , see the emphasised parts:
Ram Panse, principal of Bharat Vidyalaya, congratulated the government on its decision on two counts. He said, “Firstly, hats off to the government for making this move and secondly for implementing it even after resistance and major criticism from across the state.”
Mr Panse is lauding the government for not giving in to protests. Lets move on.
Panse further added, “I think it is a right decision as majority of the students hail from the SSC board. If the government says that 90 per cent of SSC students should get preference then there’s no harm in having reservation.”
If the government says group X needs quota, then group X should be given quota. This is a familiar pattern. No country in the world has such an casual attitude towards equality and justice.
Vikhe-Patil said the state would ensure that every student got a seat but added, “Students should not be choosy about the colleges they want to get into.’’
Source : TOI
Mr Patil, if students should not be choosy, there is no need for this quota. You only want the CBSE students not to be choosy. Again an example of expecting to be able to take other peoples stuff.
Sanjay Kher and his son Nimoy, an ICSE board student have decided to fight the government’s decision in the Bombay High Court.
“This decision is in clear violation of Article 14 of the Constitution,” says Kher, who is a lawyer.
Source : IBNLIVE
Is Mr Kher living in a cave ? We wonder what makes him think this government action will be subject to strict scrutiny.
Vinayak Shukla, secretary of Maharashtra Education Society remarked, “If the government statistics say that there are only 10% students from non-SSC board schools in the state then the reservation is fair. But if the figures differ then it will create problems. The government, however, has to take responsibility of every student studying in the state, hence, every decision taken should be implemented carefully.”
This is what passes for a sane voice here. Mr Shukla’s stand is that there is no harm is capping a specific group to their numeric strength while not capping others to their numeric strength. This is the same logic that says, “caste X is only 3% but has 10% of occupation Y, so we have 7% work left to do”
In other words, everyones equality in India only extends to the numeric strength of the rigid grouping of the politicians choice.
You already know where all this is going, right ?