Reality Check India

RTE Bill links

Posted in Uncategorized by realitycheck on December 30, 2009

Here are some links about the RTE (Right to Education Bill)

http://prayatna.typepad.com/education/2009/12/school-choice-national-conference-2009-session-1-summary.html

http://www.schoolchoice.in/scnc2009/

I read some of the PPT slides on the site. Quick impressions :

1. There is widespread acceptance that proper utilization of the 25% quota is the key

2. The slides by Sam Carlson focused on the implementation and monitoring the utlization of the 25% quota

3. One slide says that the 25% quota can be be scaled up so “entire disadvantaged” communities benefit

4. Everyone skimmed over the all important fact that Christian run schools cannot be brought under this regime

There is some good material on those two sites.

We will watch this bill closely as the rules are worked out.

Advertisements

2 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. anonymous said, on December 30, 2009 at 5:16 pm

    Will schools also become like higher education, where politicians run colleges and make money ? How about the schools themselves, clearly they cannot run on the pittance that the government will give for the 25% quota. What about the parents of the remaining 75% who’ll be footing the bill ?

    So where the quotas going to applied next ? They already control the life of a child age 5 upwards. Reproduction perhaps, so that the child’s birth will be determined by his caste and not the other way round.

  2. realitycheck said, on December 30, 2009 at 5:41 pm

    It would be a miracle if the 25% quota is monitored, because it will have to eventually be staged in the same way as the primary social justice programmes.

    This will introduce ridiculous anomalies such as an ‘unmonitored beneficiary’ enjoying elite private school quota for his entire school life knocking out both the really backward as well as the poor student who missed out. You know the drill..

    You cant have different backwardness criteria for this vis-a-vis the primary platform. Who do you exclude ?

    Worst case scenario for us (and best case for politicians )

    1. Government interference and SMC nuisance will slowly degrade non minority private schools

    2. Pittance paid to reimburse tuition will hike up open students

    3. Voucher students will stand out for no fault of their own

    4. On one end Elite schools go for excursions to Singapore. What happens to the poor ? What about Swimming fees, books, school projects, special sports uniforms, dance dresses, special fees, etc, etc.

    5. SMC interference is unavoidable.It is a given that local political functionaries have to be accomodated.

    6. Caste considerations (esp of the politically empowered castes) will override more secular considerations like economic status or handicapped.

    7. The elite will make a beeline for Christian minority schools which will be free of this interference.

    Sorry for the pessimism. There is simply no way out except to measure the utilization and effectiveness of the current social justice programs and the aggregate groupings of beneficiaries.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: