Womens quota – goodbye ladies
I am not surprised at the complete lack of debate about such a ground breaking policy as the women’s quota. We are past the fork in the road. The courts have stepped aside and let the political class have their way with our equality.
This quota will put paid to any hopes India may have about exiting third world status. Why?
- Undemocratic. You cant choose who you want.
- Exception for SC/ST arrived at after painstaking deliberation.
- Constitution never envisaged reserved seats for any group other than SC/ST. Women were backward even at the time of framing of constitution. This would fall foul of the basic structure doctrine, but no one knows what it is any more.
- All quota is engineered justice. You cannot support Womens quota and oppose fine tuning of it, such as OBC or Muslim or Christian sub quota. It is a moral hazard trap. BJP is walking into this trap with its eyes wide open. They are going to come out looking like bumbling hypocrites when someone confronts them with the usage facts of quota for Muslim women.
Even technically the Womens Quota suffers from fatal weaknesses.
- The so called 15 -year time limit is laughable. You cant expect beneficiaries to pull rug from the very law that allowed them to reach heights.
- Sub Quota cannot be resisted on any grounds. How does the idea of Mr Owaisi talking from the moral high ground sound to you ? Guess what you dont have an answer to him.
- Will produce more Priya Dutts, Jayanthi Natrajan (grand daughter of ex-TN CM), Supriya Shule since there are no checks, such as creamy layer. What purpose is served by this.
- Can be used by the government to play games and undermine democracy further. They can simply reserve a seat where an incumbent male candidate from opposition party was strong.
- Will promote dynasty even further as the knee jerk reaction to unseating a male incumbent would be for him to find a woman kin as replacement.
- Lessons not learnt from SC/ST quota. They dont work for SC/STs once elected. They simply toe party line often following upper caste dictum. BSP did not appear on scene due to the SC quota.
- Further legitimizes quota claims in other spheres simply based on under representation without considering other factors.
- Disincentive to work for true empowerment of women. Keep quiet you have quota.
- Very need for women’s quota not clear. Women may be fewer in number but they are in powerful positions.
- Women are not going to join free agents in a future equality protest. The AIIMS scenes are probably going to be the last. Goodbye ladies !